Sunday, September 15, 2013

My Birth

I can't actually remember my birth. My parents lived in Oklahoma at the time as my dad was stationed at the Altas Air Force base. Mom came back to Iowa for my birth. I was born in Sioux Valley Memorial Hospital. My grandmother always said that she came down stairs and found mom lying on the floor because she was in so much pain and "didn't know what to do with herself."

Mom was in labor for a very long time because I was breech. Then according to family stories when they called the doctor, who was a new doctor, Dr. Richard Berg, his wife stated he would be over after breakfast. Apparently I did not wish to wait until after breakfast and my grandmother, Alma Matzdorff Grashoff, "grabbed" a doctor in the stairway, Dr. Lawler, and he delivered me. I was an average size baby, seven pounds. As you can see from this picture when I was two months old, I don't seem to have a lot of hair! I know I was breast fed for about six weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment